Preventing tooth decay is one of the main reasons people go to the dentist. In this post from The Gentle Art of Dentistry in Houston, we are going to talk about five things you need to know about cavities.
1. Cavities are also called caries or tooth decay. When a tooth is permanently damaged in the hard surface, tiny openings emerge. These little holes are cavities.
2. Factors that contribute to decay are:
- Frequent eating
- Consuming sugary beverages
- Oral bacteria
- Poor dental hygiene
3. Cavities may get so bad that you will see pits or holes in your teeth, but symptoms may be more subtle, such as sensitivity, pain when biting, or a toothache. If you notice any of these symptoms, you should call your dentist today to schedule an appointment.
4. Cavities are more common among young children, but that doesn’t mean adults don’t have to take precautions.
5. Preventing cavities is uncomplicated. Be sure to brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, floss daily, eat right, avoid frequent snacking, and have regular visits with your dentist.
At The Gentle Art of Dentistry in Houston, the dental health of each of our patients is always our top priority. Services include general and cosmetic dentistry. Schedule your next checkup with us today!
Contact The Gentle Art of Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):